Rumors of a split at Camp Brangelina are evidently not true: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s lawyer has confirmed that they’ve commenced legal action against News of The World, after the British tabloid reported that the celebrity power couple were calling it quits.
Lawyer Keith Schillings said the couple had begun legal proceedings against the newspaper over the ‘‘false and intrusive allegations’’.
‘‘The News of the World has failed to meet our clients’ reasonable demands for a retraction of and apology for these false and intrusive allegations, which have now been widely republished by mainstream news outlets,” he said.
“We have advised them (Pitt and Jolie) to bring proceedings, which they have now done.”
Lawyers for the couple lodged the claim at London’s High Court on Monday (February 8), Schillings said.
He also said that Sorrell Trope, a high-profile divorce lawyer in Los Angeles, denied claims that he had been in contact with the couple, as had been reported.
‘‘I have had no contact from… Angelina Jolie and/or Brad Pitt,’’ Trope wrote, according to a letter sent to the couple’s lawyers.
‘‘I have never met … your clients or had any involvement with either of them. The forgoing is true with respect to all other members of this firm.’’
Hayley Barlow, spokeswoman for the News of The World, declined to comment on the couple’s decision to sue the newspaper.
The day before filing the lawsuit, Pitt, 46, and Jolie, 34, attended the Super Bowl in Miami with their eight-year-old son, Maddox, watching the game together from a private box at Sun Life Stadium.